NOTE: this family tree is a work in progress. Information and research provided by Steve Davis. An updated Davis family tree will be available soon. This edition traces the Davis ancestry from Wales England in the 1700's to my grandfather Archie Foster Davis.
Also see: Stephen Davis Family History
1. William Davis was born About 1710 in Wales* and died About 1788 in Moore Co, NC. He married Sarah Lamb*. She was born in Wales. William Davis's relation to Robert Davis is not clear. One source says he was Roberts father, another says he was Roberts brother who came to America with him in 1744.
2. Robert Davis was born 1744 and died 1828 in Putnam, NC Moore Co., NC. He married first Nancy Cheek. She was born 1755 and died December 7, 1822 in Putnam, NC. He married second Cibby (nickname, real name unknown). He may have come to America with William Davis.
Notes On Robert Davis
First marriage ended in divorce. Cibby was first wife. The family of Robert Davis lived near what is now Putnam, NC. He is buried on an old road near Deep River at the old Sophronia Davis home site. Robert was a poll keeper, road overseer, and held his own mark for branding cattle and made various land grants. He is best known for his skills as a gun maker. In 1815 Robert owned 1300 acres of land on this stood his gun factory. He supplied and repaired guns during the Revolutionary war. He later sold the gun factory to his partner David Kennedy of Pennsylvania. This factory was still in operation on Roberts land with over 200 men working during the War of 1812. In the 1815 listing of landowners of Moore County,NC, Robert Davis entered 1,300 acres of land valued at $1,500.00. Robert Davis is shown in Colonial Records, volume 16 page 1048. His Revolutionary pension record is to be found in Colonial Records Vol.2 pg.62. The NC Colonial Records can be found in Raleigh at the state library and archives.
1. One source says Robert was born in Moore Co, NC. Another source says Robert arrived in America 1744 and settled in Moore Co. North Carolina (Sketches of North Carolina by C. L. Hunter, Robert David page 158).
2. Register of Deeds 1787-1853 Film 546-530 Moore Co. N. C. Book 74 #215, Book 81 #415, #404.
Burial : 1828 in Davis Family Cemetery, Moore County, NC [grave photo]
Military : Private in the Revolutionary War
Children of Robert Davis and Nancy Cheek
i. Joe Davis
ii. William Coleman Davis
iii. Susannah Davis
iv. Amy Davis
v. Molly Davis was born About 1779 and died 1835 in Robbins, NC.
vi. James C. Davis Sr. was born July 15, 1791 and died May 3, 1869.
Children of Robert Davis and Cibby:
vii. Levi Davis was born October 11, 1766 in Moore Co, NC and died 1838 in Jackson Co., Ohio.
viii. Stephen Davis was born 1767 in NC and died 1863 in NC.
3. Molly Davis (Robert2, William1) was born About 1779 and died 1835 in Robbins, NC. She married Cornelius Shields. He was born 1779 and died 1857 in Robbins, NC. and is probably buried at the old Mechanics Hill graveyard near Robbins, NC.
4. James C. Davis Sr. (Robert2, William1) was born July 15, 1791 and died May 3, 1869. Burial : Davis Family Cemetery, Moore County, NC
5. Levi Davis (Robert2, William1) was born October 11, 1766 in Moore Co, NC and died 1838 in Jackson Co., Ohio. He married Mary Rudyard. She was born 1783 and died 1855, daughter of Isaiah Rudyard and (Unknown).
Children of Levi Davis and Mary Rudyard:
i. Charity Davis was born January 16, 1802.
ii. Elizabeth Davis was born November 12, 1804.
iii. Robert Davis was born January 25, 1808.
iv. Levi Davis was born August 28, 1810.
v. Mary Davis was born June 24, 1813.
vi. Delila Davis was born January 26, 1816.
vii. Martha Davis was born February 8, 1819.
viii. Stephen Dutcher Davis was born October 25, 1820 and died July 15, 1902 in Malvern, Iowa.
ix. Nancy Davis was born January 27, 1823.
6. Stephen Davis (Robert2,
William1) was born 1767 in NC and died 1863 in NC. He married
Elizabeth (Lizzie) Smith. She was born 1775.
Stephen and Elizabeth were charter members of the Dover Baptist Church
Children of Stephen Davis and Elizabeth (Lizzie) Smith:
i. Matthew Davis
ii. Susannah Davis was born June 22, 1796.
iii. William Davis was born August 20, 1798.
iv. Elizabeth Davis was born November 23, 1800.
v. Robert Davis was born October 8, 1804 in NC and died July 11, 1878 in Bear Creek, NC.
vi. Jesse Davis was born January 4, 1807.
vii. John Davis was born December 16, 1808 and died After 1880.
viii. Stephen W. Davis was born February 13, 1811.
ix. Mary Davis was born December 12, 1813.
x. Martha Davis (alias "Patsy") was born February 10, 1816.
xi. Archibald McNeil Davis was born July 14, 1819 in NC and died July 27, 1879 in Seagrove, NC Moore Co., NC.[Moore Cty record of death]
24. Archibald McNeil Davis (Stephen3, Robert2, William1) was born July 14, 1819 in NC and died July 27, 1879 (1880?) in Seagrove, Moore Co., NC. He married first to Mary Maness in Moore Co., NC. She was born July 1, 1827 in Moore Co, NC and died 1858 in Moore Co, NC, daughter of John Maness and Sally. He married second Lucinda King May 24, 1860. She was born September 9, 1836 and died March 4, 1932 in Seagrove, NC, daughter of John King and Franny Agnes Maness.
Archibald McNeil Davis Census : 1880 in e.d.138;p-6;t-9;roll #973 Moore Co., NC
Lucinda King Burial : Davis Family Cemetery Seagrove, NC
Children of Archibald McNeil Davis and Mary Maness:
i. John L. Davis was born September 6, 1847 and died November 26, 1923.
ii. Sarah E Davis was born 1850.
iii. Eli Judson Davis was born February 22, 1854 in Moore Co., NC and died June 30, 1924 in Moore Co, NC.
iv. Daniel Webster Davis was born March 14, 1855 in Ritters Township, Moore Co., NC and died June 10, 1932 in Rock Hill, SC.
v. Lewis Washington Davis was born May 15, 1857 in Moore Co., NC and died December 15, 1928 in Moore Co, NC.
Children of Archibald McNeil Davis and Lucinda King:
vi. Lillie Francena Davis was born 9 FEB and died March 31, 1960.
vii. Wiley Calvin Davis was born May 6, 1861.
viii. Isham A. Davis was born July 29, 1862 in Moore Co, NC and died September 23, 1880 in Moore Co, NC.
ix. Mary Jane Davis was born August 10, 1863 and died April 14, 1930.
x. Stephan Jonah Davis was born September 24, 1864 and died May 24, 1937.
xi. Martha L. Davis was born April 12, 1866 and died January 16, 1953 in Moore Co, NC.
xii. George Archie Davis was born December 12, 1867 in NC.
xiii. Lydia Ann Davis was born April 25, 1869.
xiv. Agnes Louisa Davis was born September 27, 1870 and died March 26, 1930.
xv. Franey Alice Davis was born January 3, 1872 and died January 26, 1962.
xvi. Joseph S. Davis was born August 15, 1873 in Moore Co, NC and died April 3, 1933.
Notes on Archibald McNeil Davis
Archibald resided in Moore County where he enlisted in the Confederate Army on March 11,1862, as a substitute. Reported present or accounted for during January thru June 1863. And September 1863 and April 1864. He served in the Moore Guard Company H of the North Carolina 46th infantry regiment. He was wounded in the left forearm on May 5,1864 at Wilderness, Va. Reported absent wounded thru Dec. 1864,.no further records found. His wife Lucinda received a pension for his service in 1930.
32. Daniel Webster Davis (Archibald McNeil4, Stephen3, Robert2, William1) was born March 14, 1855 in Ritters Township, Moore Co., NC and died June 10, 1932 in Rock Hill, SC. He married Julia Ellen Sanford June 2, 1874 in Rockingham, NC. She was born November 3, 1854 in Rockingham, NC and died June 29, 1943 in Rock Hill, SC, daughter of John W. Sanford and Virginia O'Brien
Daniel Webster Davis
Burial : Laurelwood Cemetery, Rock Hill, SC
Occupation : Meat Market owner
Julia Ellen Sanford
Burial : Laurelwood cemetery, Rock Hill, SC
Children of Daniel Webster Davis and Julia Ellen Sanford:
i. Della Frances Davis was born May 17, 1875 in Rockingham, NC and died November 7, 1914 in Rock Hill, SC.
ii. Lula Ann Davis was born 1879.
iii. Nora Ellen Davis was born July 22, 1882 in Rockingham, NC and died February 18, 1908 in Rock Hill, SC.
iv. Carl W. Davis Sr was born April 25, 1884 and died September 28, 1917 in Rock Hill, SC.
v. Archie Foster Davis was born March 31, 1886 in Rockingham, NC and died 1960 in Rock Hill, SC.
vi. John Lawrence Davis was born April 3, 1889 and died November 18, 1964 in Rock Hill, SC.
vii. Mae Davis, born 1891, died 1973. She married Albert Sherril.
viii. Fonnie Alice Davis was born January 1893.
Notes on Daniel Webster Davis
Daniel Webster Davis, also called "Rockingham" Davis, left his home home in Starr, NC (Moore County) in his early teens. Daniel's left arm was cut off in a saw mill accident (date unknown). He moved to Rockingham, NC and then later to Rock Hill, SC sometime after the birth of his youngest child Fonnie. Daniel opened a meat market in Rock Hill, SC in 1903. Steaks sold for 7 to 10 cents per pound and sausage 10 cents per pound! His son, Archie Foster, helped out at the market and delivered meat to customers in a croaker sack.
58. Archie Foster Davis (photos) (article) (Daniel Webster5, Archibald McNeil4, Stephen3, Robert2, William1) was born March 31, 1886 in Rockingham, NC and died 1960 in Rock Hill, SC. He married Mary Margaret Jolley November 21, 1909 in the Baptist Pastorium, Rock Hill, SC.
Notes on Archie Foster Davis
All of Archie Foster and Margie's children were born at home, on the old family farm off of Porter Rd. Rock Hill, SC. The farm house burned and the family moved then to 850 E. Main St. Rock Hill, SC. Known as "Foster" he opened a Meat Market (article) in 1922 on Main Street and was well known and respected in the community.
Archie Foster Davis
burial : Laurelwood Cemetery, Rock Hill, SC
Notes on Mary Margaret "Margie" Jolley
She was born May 5, 1890 in Mt. Airy, NC and died 1975 in Rock Hill, SC.
She was the daughter of Thomas William Jolley and Laura Clarke. She had
a half brother, William Jolley. Her father Thomas Jolley was murdered (shot to
death) near Mt. Airy when she was a young child. She was raised in Mt Airy (her
step-parents unknown). She had some connection to the J. W. Beasley family and
her best friend was a Pearl Beasley. Margie sold milk and butter during the
Burial : Laurelwood Cemetery, Rock Hill, SC
Children of Archie Foster Davis and Mary Margaret Jolley:
i. Margaret Alice Davis (photos) was born November 14, 1910 in Rock Hill, SC and died November 27, 1988 in Rock Hill, SC. Married: Hugh Edgar Sanders (photos) (SANDERS FAMILY TREE)
ii. Willie Frances Davis was born May 29, 1912 in Rock Hill, SC and died April 12, 1985 in Rock Hill, SC.
iii. Betty Lucille Davis was born October 3, 1913 in Rock Hill, SC and died January 22, 1986 in Rock Hill, SC.
iv. Laura Ellen Davis was born February 3, 1916.
v. Archie Foster, Jr. Davis was born February 1, 1917 and died 1917.
vi. James Lyle Davis was born September 14, 1918 in Rock Hill, SC at home and died February 27, 1988 in Rock Hill, SC.
vii. Foster McKnight Davis was born May 20, 1922 in Rock Hill, SC and died November 6, 1995 in Rock Hill, SC.